Saturday, October 16, 2010

We've Been Living in a Bunker...Here's What We've Been Doing







Chris here, Thanks for reading. No seriously, if you still care enough about us to check on our blog that gets updated once every four months know we're very flattered to have you as friends. I think we owe you an aplogy. Not just for the blog thing, but for the "Diggins family limited social life" thing. We realize we have been blowing off just about everything trying to get some projects done that we have been working on forever. Some we've wanted to do for years. Some we've wanted to do as long as we've known each over. Some we've been working on for over a decade.

Curious? You should be that was a heck of a leading statement. Anyway, we want to give you a full update and let you all back in to what has been going on and let you know we're both really looking forward to hanging out with you again sometime in the near future. Anyway, here's the list

1. Stop for the second and visit http://www.digginsdesign.com/ . Remember those classes that Carrie was taking over the summer? She's done and we have the Web site up for her freelance graphic design work. All of the samples up are stuff she's done for work over the last year or so. I think she's really talented and getting better all the time. If you know someone who needs anything designed give us a call. This has been a great side business for us and with the added skill of Web design Carrie's taken our work from home business up a notch.

Should be satisfied to stop here but we're not. All this has been leading up to a business idea Carrie and I have had for almost as long as we've known each other. Carrie is working late almost every night and during the day when she can to get our samples, marketing materials, and more complex Web site up. I'm contributing where I can until I take over as a the one man sales department in November ( but only in the evenings, OD still owns me from 8-5 for which I am very grateful). That's all the details for now, we'll spill the beans on everything in about 4 weeks. Needless to say, lots of time.

2. While we're following up on the last post. I finished P90X. It works fantastically, it just takes over an hour every night. So in the last few weeks I've backed off and been using the Jillian 30 Day shred DVD. It's not a step down at all, I do her level 3 workout and it's really tough and gets me done in a half hour. Can't ask for more than that. I did hit every weight loss goal I had, I lost 40 lbs, I weight less than I did in college (which is fun to say, but not extremely impressive given I wasn't all that thin in college) and I just ran 10K the other night to see what it feels like. It felt great. I have pictures but they'll never see the light of day because posting that stuff on your blog just isn't right/cool. Anyway, It can be done. I thought I could never make the move to a healty lifestyle but it's really not that hard, and buying new clothes feels great. I've wanted to do this since I got home from my mission. It's nice to finally get it done.

3. Home Rennovation. Our basement was a beast. lots of grey concrete. Not alot of light. Kids are scared to go down there. Spiders. You get it. I always had dreams of sinking several grand down there and turning it into a sweet mancave. Sadly, I came to the realization that having the largest room in the house be a mancave wasn't going to happen, especially with toddlers and more on the way ( Not and Announcement! Just an aknowledgement that we would like to have more kids in the future...at this rate the distant future) So, we decided to finish the basement on a budget, and now have a sweet playroom/office out of the deal. Special thanks to the Coopers for the couch, Carrie's folks for the executive desk, and the Gardner, KS Walmart for having all the stuff we needed on sale right as we needed it. I cannot believe what a difference concrete paint makes when brightening up a room. Anyway, Cami and especially Josh love their new playroom and I feel like we just got half a new house.

4. Republican paper boy. I won an election in August and I am the Republican Precint Committeeman here in my neighborhood. Don't get too excited, I was unopposed. I was unopposed because spending free time going house to house distributing campaign literature isn't on the top of most people wish list. Still it was neat to vote for myself, which I hadn't done since 7th grade ( lost then...complete popularity contest BTW, if those 7th graders had only understood the issues!) We've been trying to get more active within the local Republican party and this year we're getting out a lot more. Still lots to do before November 2nd and I feel things have picked up lately. I'm enjoying serving, it's alot of fun. Try it yourself if you have time because we do really need all the help we can get.

5. Captain Coupon. Since Carrie is booked up in the evenings and we still have a need to save money I've taken over at the coupon shopper in the house. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. In fact, I find couponing addictive, and extremely easy since there are hundreds of Web site run by obsessive coupon Moms who find all the deals for you.You just have to clip and shop. I do still like finding a few myself, and the feeling of walking out of the store with $100 worth of groceries for $15. Or in the case of a few weeks ago looting Hen House for 31 Cakes Mixes and 45 bags of Frozen veggies for less that one dollar. You heard me.

6. Oh yea, We're still Parents. Josh and Cami are great. I feel like Josh is really starting to assert himself. He's still pretty clam most of the time, but he's gotten in the habit in yelling when he wants attention and slapping the table. Sounds bratty, but its funny the way she does it right now. When it becomes not so funny in six months we'll deal with the problem then. He's also huge and eats a ton, but I think that's part of the bargain with having a boy. I still have high hopes that Josh will, against all odds, be large and athletic. Check with me again in 15 years when I'm sitting through chess club matches.

Cami is still a big fan of princesses, but also of singing and dance in general. If a dancing show come on TV she grabs me from up off the couch and asks for a dance. It's just as adorable as it sounds and it makes my day. Also she likes singing the songs she learns at church and will as for "Family Home Evening" when she wants to sing one. Again, that's even more adorable than it sounds and makes me feel like I'm being a good parent for thirty seconds. ( As opposed to the screaming two year old at Toys R Us that's lying on the ground shouting "MORE PRINCESSES!" . That makes me feel like a bad parents for much longer than thirty seconds)


Anyway, that's what we're doing for the most part and we're still bunkered down. We miss you and we're glad youre still reading out blog.






9 comments:

Candace said...

Wow!! You guys have been super busy! Carrie, your graphic design webpage is awesome. And Chris, I'm impressed you're keeping up with Carrie's couponing skills - especially being so busy with everything else. Miss you guys!

Marie said...

Very impressed! I would hire you if I ever needed graphic design, Carrie! And good job running a 10K, Chris! Cute kids, as always! :)

Unknown said...

Are your ancestors from Ireland? If so what part? I am also a Diggins.

Dave & Chels said...

We still read your blog! Man, you guys are so accomplished that I feel like a slacker now. Way to go on everything!! We miss you guys tons, as usaul. Call us if you ever need a place to stay in Dallas!

Jessica M said...

Your princess is seriously cute. Nice work on the weight loss goal! Would love to see pictures of the basement remodel. Glad y'all are doing great!

The BYU girls got together for a reunion in October. We had a great time and enjoyed laughing over the old days. You'd be pleased to know that Sarah and I haven't changed much. Debbie couldn't join us this time as she is due with twins in about a month. This makes girl #4 and #5 for their family!

Sarah said...

Diggins! It is nice to hear that you are still alive, and that you are doing so well. I can't wait to hear all about your business in a few weeks.

Melissa said...

Yay!! You are back! So the design website looks great! Strong work on completing p90x and losing all the weight - that's such an awesome achievement! And as usual, your kids sound so adorable. I would love to meet them in person one day! Keep up the good work. Miss you all!

Carrie said...

You guys are due for a semi-annual update. How did winter treat the Diggins fam?

CA said...

wowww cool story! keep going! pls check my link https://www.cekaja.com/info/obat-mual-untuk-ibu-hamil/